Thursday 26 April 2018

FedEx, unreliability you can rely on

That FedEx is not always reliable seems predictable. It is a large company, operating in a blood-sport industry with people of which the majority is both overstrained and underpaid. Less predictable is that the company has no problems lying to its customers.

I was expecting a package today that would be delivered 'by end of day'. So, I stayed home all day to make sure I could take delivery. I did not go out, did not check the mail, did not do the laundry and had no other out-of-suite in-building activities, just to make sure I would not miss 'the moment'.

And then, lo-and-behold, I got a tracking update saying that delivery would be reattempted tomorrow because the customer was not available or the business was closed. That is a lie. Not merely an untruth, a downright lie.

I went to the office downstairs to ask whether or not FedEx had even been here. They assured me FedEx had not been seen. Extra funny is that FedEx also claims that a door tag has been left behind. FedEx did no such thing.

When I phoned their customer service, I got a computer program that did not understand very much and does not offer the option of talking about non-delivery, only mis-delivery. After several attempts, I was finally connected to an agent. Since FedEx records its phone conversations, so did I. The conversation was quite futile and useless, as these conversations almost invariably are.

What makes this incident remarkable, is that I cannot remember *ever* having experienced a FedEx delivery that went as it should. Coincidence? Unlikely, but not necessarily impossible.

However, FedEx's claim that they came here, found the customer unavailable and left a door tag is not a coincidence. It is an outright lie. That means this company doesn't have customers, it has prey, or victims. It doesn't even care enough about its image to create a semi-convincing white lie.

The situation is aggravated by the fact that this is not the first time I have the exact same experience of non-delivery, claim of attempted delivery and claim of leaving a message at the door. While repeated non-delivery could possibly still be a coincidence, the lies make FedEx look like a criminal organisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment